Next week, I will be at SHSMD Connections 2014 in San Diego with my Medicom Health Interactive colleagues. I am impressed, year-after-year, with the quality of the education sessions, and I always walk away with new insights into hospital marketing. If you’re attending the conference, I hope you can take advantage of the valuable learning and networking opportunities. Given what I’ve gleaned from past years, I’ve compiled a top five list of things you should do while at the conference:
- Plan. There are more than 60 education sessions during the conference, so review all of the descriptions. Try going to sessions that lie outside of your typical focus area to gain exposure to new ideas. Consider attending presentations by smaller healthcare systems, as they often share the innovative ways they get the job done with limited resources and budget.
- Visit the exhibit hall. Sure, I’m an exhibitor, but there really are a lot of cool things to see and do in the hall. The vendors want to increase efficiencies and make your life easier, so use their expertise. Learn how they are helping other health systems, and challenge them to describe how their product can help you.
- Take time to go to networking events. Tuesday night is the big SHSMD networking event, and it’s a great opportunity to connect with colleagues, network with peers, and just have fun. Also, don’t forget about the round table lunches. I have participated in some really fantastic discussions over the years. There are ample opportunities to network at vendor-hosted evening events throughout the conference, so even if you’re unmotivated after putting in a long day, make time for these events. You never know who you’re going to meet.
- Enjoy yourself. This is going to be an intense few days of learning, so make sure to take time to enjoy the location. Walk down to Seaport Village and grab an ice cream cone, shop, or simply enjoy the view. Spend some time at the pool. You work hard all year; you have earned some time to relax.
- Challenge yourself. Don’t just bring back one new idea to implement at your facility, bring back five. They don’t all have to be huge ideas to make an impact. The more conversations you have with others, the more ideas you’ll take home.
So, enjoy the conference. And if you have time, stop by our Medicom Health Interactive booth (#200) for a short, one-on-one demonstration of how our online health assessments can simplify the way you exchange health information with existing and prospective patients.
Latest posts by Tony Huth (see all)
- Tips & Support:The Case for Personalized Marketing in Healthcare - April 16, 2019
- We Are Seeking Reviews & Testimonials - March 12, 2019
- Great Resource: 2018 Webinar Videos - March 10, 2019