In between catching up with the latest GOT episodes and coaching the Calhoun Beach Running Club, this avid runner has completed 9 marathons! All the way from Buffalo, NY, meet Director of Security and Technical Operations, Paul Donnelly.
Paul has had a few roles throughout his time at Medicom Health, but his current job is one that demands something different every day. Some days he is doing a lot of work with our servers: maintaining, expanding, or improving our cloud hosting environment to ensure we maintain nearly 100% uptime no matter what happens. Other days, Paul spends his time working on office IT projects, making sure Medicom Health is utilizing technology as well as we can to be as efficient and secure as possible in our jobs. In addition, Paul also handles security audits from our clients or other security concerns that arise. A big push for us recently has been getting Medicom Health HITRUST certified and it’s all thanks to his hard work!
Paul is an incredible asset to the Medicom Health team. He constantly goes above and beyond to ensure the worst possible scenarios like losing network connectivity or servers crashing don’t affect our products or our clients who rely on them to be up 100% of the time.
The work may keep Paul busy, but he still finds plenty of joy in the work he does. It gives him variety every day and allows him to work on small teams which provides a more direct way to learn new things and allows room for exploration. He says, “It’s impressive to see how much a small group can accomplish!”
Interesting fact: Paul was college roommates with Craig Goergen, the son of our co-founder Barbara Goergen. Craig told Paul about a developer position at his parent’s company that was open, and as a Computer Science major he figured was a perfect fit. Since then, Paul has remained at Medicom Health – talk about right person, right time!
Fun Facts about Paul
Hometown/Places you’ve lived
- Buffalo, NY. You’ll never take my wings or Buffalo Bills away from me. Even if I’ve adopted the Vikings now, they’ll still be my team. Someday they’ll get that Super Bowl…
- St. Louis MO. Went to school here. Really enjoyed living in St. Louis for 4 years.
- Chicago, IL. My wife got her MBA at Northwestern, so we lived in Evanston for 2 years. We enjoyed being “tourists” in our own city for those years exploring as many neighborhoods and sights in Chicago as we could.
- Minneapolis. Since college except for the 2 years in Chicago.
Current/Favorite Netflix binge
- After years of trying I finally got my wife to start watching Game of Thrones (or as she likes to call it “Throne Game”). We’re two seasons in and I think she’s enjoying it, even if it is an excuse for her to knit most of the show, especially the violent scenes.
- Running is the big one. I coach and run with the Calhoun Beach Running Club. We’re a small group of dedicated runners that run and race year-round (well, a smaller group of us when it’s winter, even when it is 25 below with wind chills 50 below!) I’ve done 9 marathons now with a few of the favorites being Twin Cities Marathon, Boston, Berlin, and Grandma’s marathon.
Going to brunch – what do you order?
- It’s probably going to involve eggs. I do like a good omelet, maybe with lots of veggies?
Cat or Dog?
- Dog. 100%. I’m typing this with my dog Kirby laying on my feet keeping them warm.
As a graduate of the University of Minnesota, Shoua's background in pharmacy, payors, and financial services help her understand the challenges healthcare marketers are facing today.
Her favorite quote is: “If it doesn’t challenge you, you’re not growing.”
Latest posts by Shoua Thao (see all)
- Tips & Support:3 Tips to Improve Your HRA Routine - October 14, 2019
- Tips & Support:Security Feature: Alert Users Before Disabling Due to Inactivity - September 18, 2019
- Staff Spotlight:Connie Bush: A Jack of All Trades - August 20, 2019